Sunday, November 16, 2008


Wenches And Royalty And Trolls!, Oh My!

Went to the Renaissance Festival yesterday and I'm still tired. This was my third ren. fest and I'm starting to get the bug. I never thought in a zillion years I'd be thinking about dressing up the family and getting that into a renaissance festival. We have always masked for Mardi Gras, but that's it. Mardi Gras krewes and masking on Fat Tuesday is a long tradition and normal for us. Maybe that's why I'm drawn to the festivals.


My first festival was in Michigan. Talk about getting a wild hair up your butt. I'm in Louisiana! I needed a vacation, so I took a dear friend up on their invitation to come visit. It was sorta a last minute idea to go to the festival, but I was so glad we did. It was a huge festival and just the light hearted escape I needed. OCD people don't walk around with turkey legs, but since only one person knew me, I threw caution to the wind and got me one.


It was many years later that I went to the smaller festival in Louisiana for the first time. Now I am thinking about going to the one in Dallas next April / May. Has anyone gone to the Scarborough Renaissance Festival? I'd love to hear about your experience, good or bad. I'm going to start looking for some patterns for costumes. Can you run away with the renaissance people like you could run away with the circus??



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*chuckling* Yep, it sounds like you're catching the bug alright. The Renfection spreads quickly, so watch for signs of it in your family. If you're truly considering going in costume (garbing up), check out the eBay portal I've created at FaireCostume.com

You can find information about events happening all over the country at FaireNews.com and there's a great forum for Ren-thusiasts at RenaissanceFestival.com

Welcome to Faire!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm going to go check out the information you posted.

I think I might actually make it to Dallas for the Scarborough Festival.

It seems so much fun and we have friends who have a blast "garbing up".

Thanks again!